Wednesday, August 29, 2007

When will a cool voip company team up with SocialUrl?


SocialUrl is a nice site for storing and handling your online identity. You fill in information about your existing social networks, so that your friends and visitors can see your full Internet identity (what's my name on Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, do I have a blog).
It's also a social network which is pretty fun. Reminds me of old "Who watches the Watchmen" comic. Will there be a social network where you can include you SocialUrl identity?
Also, apparently SocialUrl is a site driven by a couple of very nice college students. At least that's my impression from some conversation with their founders.

Anyway, except for the fact that it was fun that Linus "the social marketer" at Rebtel turned up on their first page when I created the screenshot above, it's an obvious and great idea behind SocialUrl. Looking at myself, I'm registered at many different networks and have lots of friends from different social contexts. I want a better overview of both my connections and my own profiles, and that, in some ways, is achieved with SocialUrl.

Another thing I would like to achieve is to reach my contacts and friends at the appropriate platform at every given time. If they are very active users on Facebook, and I want to send a postcard "hello, how are you these days", I want to send the message to Facebook. If I want to reach a person fast, it would be nice to know if it's phone, mobile text message, msn or email to use.
I want to use the right message type for each message context.

The coupling to Web2.0 voip services is obvious - Some of the people I know very well, some I don't know and many are abroud. To be able to store all my connections in one place, and make or receive "anonymous" calls from people I don't know, or public calls from people I know, is all possible with service like SocialUrl connected to the voip service. Most of the functionality exist already, as widgets for blogs or social networks, so it wouldn't take a to big effort to reach my Utopian communication ideas. You can even spell it in a three letter word - API.

So the conclusion is, work together with a network as SocialUrl or create an open API! That's right, you heard me. Create that open API now!

The possibilities for great communication are endless - the success factor in most cool startups is to what degree the startup can fulfil peoples need for communication!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you reviewed http://www.zooped.com Music and Business social networking ?

Mattias Aspelund said...

Music and Business social networking? As in Music Business networking? Or LinkedIn and Music network?

Anyway, I obviously haven't review that site, and I doubt I will. The frontpage of Zooped says: "Zooped.com Is a new Business Music and Personal Social Network. Connect with old friends, make new friends and connect with local businesses. Build your own play list up to 15 songs for your profile page Musicians can share up to 10 songs with their fans Zooped.com is compatible with any MSRS, customize your profiles easily."

I don't know what Business Music is, and I prefer either general social networks where I can find all my friends (Facebook), business networks for a straight forward business approach (LinkedIn) or a social network focused on my own hobbies and profession.

Zooped don't seem to have any of these three focus areas, so I'll let a more music oriented blogger review them.

But the site looks good!