Saturday, August 4, 2007

Jajah vs Rebtel



I just found Jajah and just as Rebtel you can make cheap international phonecalls on using your regular phone, by using their Jajah's and Rebtel's websites.

With Rebtel, you save your contacts on their website, and you get a local number for each contact. Hence you only place local calls by using Rebtel. You can call for local rates, if your contact, after receiving your call, calls back to the local number Rebtel displays to him. I'd say the best thing with Rebtel is that you get a unique phone number for each contact that you can save on your cell for later use, and once you've done that you don't need the Internet in order to make a call, and you don't need any hard to remember long passwords either.
The main disadvantage with Rebtel is that your contact has to call you back, and you have to get them to learn that behaviour to get local rates when calling them.

With Jajah on the other hand, you always place your call via Jajah's website. When you've placed the call, your regular phone will call and when you answer your contact will be called as well. If both phones are landlines (not mobiles) the call will be really cheap, and if your contact is also a Jajah user the call will be for free!
The main advantage with Jajah is that you don't need to teach your contacts anything, their phone will call as usual. If you want the free of charge call you'll need to get them to register, and if your contact is over 40 that might be a pretty hard task.
The biggest disadvantage with Jajah is of course that you must place your call on their website. They have a good mobile version of their site, so that you can use it "on the fly" with your mobile phone, but I still think it's a pretty big disadvantage.

So who's the winner? Both services are good and I think it depends on why you make international calls. In my case, I only need to call a few people, so I will probably be able to make them register with Jajah. I'll then get free international calls, so Jajah will be the winner for me.
However, if I had a larger list of international contacts, I'd say Rebtel was the better one, since Rebtel gives me unique numbers for them.

So what is my conclusion? Rebtel and Jajah should both copy each other and compete with their Rates only. Then they should cooperate with soocial.com and make my life even easier!

(I hope it's not the same company, cause that would be embarrassing)

www.rebtel.com
www.jajah.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice article,
I like both companies. Rebtel for mobiles (using my Vodafone minutes ;) ) and jajah for totally free calls landline to landline (both parties need to be registered) - and btw - my parents are over 50 and use jajah ;) AND rebtel....

Head over heels said...

You should also check out jaxtr as it gives you the freedom to call from your phone, not just the website, AND it doesnt require teaching your callees to hang up and call back. Its also completely free right now (you get 100 free minutes a month, and then you can earn more by inviting friends to join).

Chris said...

EQO Mobile is good, I think better than Jajah and Rebtel. It's a mobile application that lets you call long distance through a local number, with no callback or saving of individual numbers to your phone. You can call anyone without visiting the web and use IM on your mobile too.

Frederik | Jajah.com said...

Hi Mattias,

thanks a lot for the nice review and I'm sure there are a lot of opportunities for all of us out there, everybody is using phones and gets frustrated with outrageous phone bills.

Of course I use Jajah all the time and with Jajah Mobile and the iPhone it's a no brainer anyways - that's how easy it actually is and it works the same with any other smartphone.

We moved away a little bit from mobile plugins (software you actually have to install on your cell phone) because for most people this is a high barrier.

We will see where this is all going and there is a lot of new stuff coming up soon, I promise.

Thank you and get back to me anytime if you have further questions regarding Jajah.

Try it out at www.jajah.com

Cheers, Frederik

Anonymous said...

At first, like you, I was using both Rebtel & Jajah to call my closest friends. However, I quickly began using Rebtel exclusively. The benefits of being freed from my PC or accessing a PC application for each call and better rates (if calling people out-of Rebtel countries) made it a natural choice. I haven’t tried EQO so no comment – but I am not into downloads etc. so…

My advice – set up a Rebtel account for your friend and take a few very cheap minutes on Rebtel to explain the call back process. Trust me – some of my friends take technophobia to new heights and they still got it! Simplify your life with Rebtel! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

If you like Jajah, you'll love www.zoippe.com