Thursday, February 21, 2008

Why is Widsets so slow and how should it compete with IPhone?



I recently wrote about reinstalling widsets on my phone, and now that I've been using it again for a while I am still a happy user. However, with the last update, it freezes for a couple of seconds while starting (and loading new content), and it also feels a bit slower than before. Of course, it might be just my phone or my connection, but I've never had this problem before.

Recently I also thought about building an app for a professional site where I'm a part of the development team, but I figured that the user count is still to small.
The API however, seems really good, so here is what I'd like to see:

1) More users: Partner up with mobile operators, making the widset program preinstalled and hopefully even with a shortcut. The advantage for the mobile operator is obvious, the preinstalled user could then match their needs, and have a operator custom background etc.

2) Better incentive for content partners: When a widset widget is developed to provide content to a site, widsets should provide a "stand-alone" version of the program to the developing partner. The stand-alone version would then be installable and maby even branded by the third party site, containing only content from the third party.
Everyone would be happy then, the developing partner gets a branded javaprogram that he's happy to market on his own site, plus all possible users using the normal widsets program. Widsets on the other hand, will get more content for their software, making it more popular, and a large database of potential customers.

No comments: