Sunday, February 3, 2008

Plaxo, Propeller and OpenID - Much ado about nothing

Ok, so now OpenID-sites are starting to pop up, this time alone I've found myself register on two sites supporting OpenID. Great, hah? After entering my OpenID, I've been transported to my OpenID-publisher, logging in there, then pressing "let them access my data forever" and going back to the registry process again.

But hey, in both cases I've been asked to fill in my email and loads of personal details. Then why use OpenID at all? Sure, my password is a little bit better protected, but the registry process, which isn't that fun to begin with, has only been prolonged by OpenID.

Of course, I get that I'm a sort of early adaptor, but I'm still a little bit disappointed. I thouth that with OpenID using sites where I'm not registered would be like a simple login-process, and registry pages a thing of the past.

I'm really looking forward to the day when I can download my Google or Yahoo OpenID manager, keeping my registry experience is a simple popup complete with a "trus this site with your OpenId?"-window.

Anyway, I'm still happy that both Propeller and Plaxo uses OpenID, since it definitely makes the web easier to use!

No comments: