Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Now I know why I didn't by IPhone - I've been waiting for Android!



Now it's all clear to me - I didn't by an Iphone because I was waiting for the Google Phone. The phone itself seems really fun with GPS, compass, accelerometer, Wifi, 3g and all, but IPhone has almost the same features. But what I really like about the Android is it's openess! Since I'm a developer I've been waiting for the day when I'll be able to program everything around me - lamps, owen, fridge, tv, lock, phone and my car. This is suddenly a little bit closer since I'll be in control over my mobile!
I've done some Java applets for my SonyEricsson, and though it was pretty fun, it is a pretty tightly locked programming environment. With the IPhone it's the same: An extensive SDK but all the fun stuff locked up out of my reach.

The Android platform is all different. Change whatever you want, use camera, other programs, API's as much as you like, it just isn't a closed environment.

I'm no Mac person, and even though I was impressed with the IPhone (primarily for the touch interface and the nice screen), I must say I simply don't like Apple that much. I'm a PC guy, I've enjoyed putting together my own hardware playing around with Windows or Linux. I want to be able to choose freely what hardware to use.
Mac's are good looking and they seem to be great employers, but for some reason they can't reach my inner geek. Microsoft, Google and Yahoo can! I even liked the Seinfeld/Microsoft-commercial.

Now since I'm swedish I'm really hoping for a platform as open as Android for SonyEricsson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should correct your spelling mistake by-> buy :-)

Otherwise interesting reading