Friday, September 12, 2008

Kaskado - Mobile coupons made easy


Imagine walking into a shop and your mobile beeps. You look at it, and it's a coupon for some clothes matching your personal taste in the same store, and hence increasing the sales of the store.

We're not quite there yet, but the scenario presented above just got a bit closer.
I've tried Kaskado which gives you mobile coupons for real world purchases. It's easy to install the java app (enter your mobile number and follow a link) and I was up and running in no time.

When starting I had to choose my location, and then a couple of offers in my city was presented to me. The interface is good and I might even try one of the offers later today. The number of offers where a tad bit low, only four of them in a city of more than one million (Stockhom), one from a coffee chain having 5+ locations to choose from.

So what does it take to make this service a success? The installation process was easy enough, but I still think it's hard to get the main stream audience to install the application with that few coupons. I guess that can be explained by the fact that the service is pretty new, but that needs to be improved.
I also would like to have it automatically positioning me, so that I get offers only really close to my location. That probably isn't very interesting until they've got far more offers.
It would also be nifty to have it running in the background, maybe as a cell phone provider service to keep the users costs low, and simply signaling me when I'm close to an offer that really interests me.

I don't have any insight in Kaskado's plans, since I just heard of them, but I'd say that a great idea would be to go for the operators and have the service preinstalled or at least having the link as a predefined shortcut. Operators are always looking for ways to get new ways of income as well as advantages over their competitors, so it should be pretty easy to make such a deal.

No comments: